For our customer in Darmstadt we are looking for a Data Processing Engineer to assist in the engineering activities of the data processing systems and application software for the operational and future programs within the Data Processing Systems and Applications Competence Area. This position includes responsibilities for the engineering and maintenance of online and offline operational data processing systems.
The successful candidate will be based at EUMETSAT headquarters in Darmstadt, Germany, and will enjoy of a ~40% home office schema.
Typically, tasks will include:
- Contribute to the definition, design, implementation, and maintenance of architectures for data processing ground segments and their components – with special emphasis on product quality control, calibration and validation, production monitoring and reporting.
- Contribute to the operations of existing data processing ground segments and their maintenance and evolution, including software upgrades such as implementing and maintaining new algorithms for product quality control and calibration/validation activities.
- Perform routine tasks in operational systems under configuration control.
- Perform standard SW engineering activities (i.e. SW testing and integration).
- Participation in meetings and formal reviews.
The Key Person shall have the following mandatory attributes and skills:
- A university degree in a relevant technical discipline (i.e., engineers, computer science) or the equivalent work experience.
- At least 5 years’ experience in the Data Processing Systems and Applications Competence Area
- Experience with change management processes and requirements management experience using DOORS.
- C++ and Java programming language experience in UNIX/LINUX based environment including profiling, debugging and troubleshooting.
- Knowledge about verification of software issues and experience in the maintenance of complex real-time software,
- Use of and application programming of database systems (e.g. ORACLE, INFORMIX, PostgreSQL and MySQL).
- Competence in the use of scripting languages (e.g. shell scripting, PERL), high-level languages (e.g., Python, Java) and correspondent use of their libraries.
- Experience in preparation of requirements, design, interfaces and testing documentation for data processing systems considering the systems engineering aspects of data processing management and data provision (experience of data processing for high data rate missions and/or Earth Observation missions is an asset but is not mandatory).
- Experience in S/W design, S/W development, operation, software maintenance and software development of large complex real-time data processing systems for Earth Observation missions.
- Competence in object-oriented software design and implementation possibly in the context of satellite instrument data processing systems.
- Systematic approach to work, including the ability to plan the work and to cope with tight schedules and multiple tasks.
- Ability to learn and develop the needed skills and knowledge to contribute to the implementation of the service. This includes the ability to rapidly absorb, and make use of, information presented in written and oral communications in a dynamic context.
- Willingness to work within a multidisciplinary context in cooperation with other teams. The ability to maintain a system overview is essential. Be able to plan your work and to cope with tight schedules and multiple tasks.
- Write accurate and consistent technical documentation.
- Fluent in English (communication and writing skills).
Interested applicants should submit their CV and Cover Letter in Word format (*.docx) and /or PDF (*.pdf) format from the website or by emailing the WGS recruitment team at email@example.com before 23.02.2024.